Wednesday 18 September 2013


Rule Number 2 – Avoid drama. Now I can see that you may think this is exactly like the first rule. But I assure you the difference is critical. I think of drama as having caused conflict despite having followed rule number one to the letter. Sometimes, in the course of trying to be a nice person, you have inadvertently helped too much, said the wrong helpful thing, Or, even worse, the sound of your voice or your intonation has reminded them of a truly hated person, they don’t realize it, they just suddenly hate you. In which case, you may be confronted with a raving lunatic. If this occurs, do not under any circumstances try and make your point of view clearer, just apologise! You don’t even need to know why. Just say I am so sorry in as many ways and in as many languages as you can think of. I have included a list of multilingual apologies for you to peruse at your leisure. Then try to maintain a sort of bowing profile: keep your body low and eyes down. You never know, avoiding eye contact could mean the difference between life and death in these moments.
 Before accessing the guide below, I should warn you that I found these words using Word's helpful 'translate tool'. Now I can't vouch for it's accuracy particularly because often I find Word has (in an attempt to be helpful) made up new rules randomly. For instance, recently, I wrote this sentence : "They were not paying any attention to me, they were more focused on themselves." not the most epic of sentences, I realize. But Word insists with it's bossy green line that I should change themselves to them... SO I don't always trust Word... so these may be wrong... Which has the potential to put you in a position of breaking this very rule. Sorry...
Also, I feel politically correctly obligated to state that this is not an exhaustive list. However, if you find yourself needing to apologize in Chamicuro, then you have some major people skill problems and may, I am sorry to say, be beyond help.

Multilingual Apology Guide


Sorry - English 

Pardon – French

Siehe – German

Συγνώμη – Greek

מצטער – Hebrew

क्षमा करें – Hindi

Bocsánat – Hungarian

Maaf – Indonesian

Scusa! -  Italian

사람 – Korean

îmi pare rău – Romanian

Извините - Russian

No comments:

Post a Comment