Sunday 21 August 2016

Too Busy to Blog



I seem to be busy. But like confused busy. It seems I am constantly moving but I am not accomplishing anything in particular. It’s like Amelia has hit age twelve and we are running along behind her (because she is way faster than us) throwing food and clothing at her like those marathon helpers in the Olympics. But none of the running counts toward my gym time so I have to run there as well which takes up more time.

In order to combat this, I have started some time saving initiatives:

1.     Instead of cleaning the tables, I just vacuum them when no one is looking - even the one with the table cloth. It can be tricky because it can get stuck. Also, you have to ignore the fact that  something small and/or expensive may be lost.


2.   I made this for breakfast and ate it - because throwing it out would waste time AND food, otherwise known as money. It was supposed to be eggs in a basket:




Here is an online version to compare it to:



3.   Amelia has taken to wearing her pyjamas under her school uniform to save time getting ready in the morning. While I was only made aware of this two days ago, when I saw her jammies peeking out the top of her pants, I fully endorse this and feel that she has embraced the time saving necessary to our lives right now. And I am also trying to figure out how I can incorporate it into my life. But I am quite fond of the fuzzy plaid jammies that cannot be used in place of pants and don't tend to fit under skirts or jeans very well.

4.   If you are taking notes for your own time saving efforts,   (I don't recommend the egg one, it was terrible; burnt butter in a recipe is not quite the same thing as actual burnt butter and bread.) I must warn you that this one can backfire as it did this morning. As a general rule, I feel that time saving techniques should NOT be applied to coffee making; no matter how late I am, I really must have my Manuka Brothers latte with extra foam. So in order to make this happen, I will often steam my milk while grinding my coffee. Now this normally is OK but the grinder is just far enough away that I can't watch the grinder and the milk at the same time. This is also normally fine except, today, I started trying to work out a problem with my thesis. Which required staring out the window because trees and birds and clouds help creativity. It was quite a while before I realized that scalding milk was pouring all over the counter and my coffee was ground too fine. Which meant that when I tried to make the espresso my machine almost exploded because it couldn't get the water through the tightly packed grounds which had not been brewed but turned into cement. So, time saving techniques should be done one at a time; don't try to fix your thesis while time-saving in some other area.



5. In order to save time I recorded the Olympics but I still don't have time to watch because ALL THE SOCCER and all the thesising. (This is a word - it has to be because it is what I spend my free time doing... and if it is not a word - THEN WHAT IS IT ALL FOR??!!) But I feel bad that I have not watched these athletes who trained so hard and stopped eating delicious food like Eggs Benedict and doughnuts for years! So I have taken to watching it in fast forward. Not only am I honouring their hard work and amazingness BUT they are even more amazing! Ping Pong players in fast forward make them look like they have invented the hopping-dancing-flinging-invisible ball sport! And watching the men's pommel horse in fast forward makes them look faster than a helicopter - which means they might be able to fly!

I have to go  - I'm late for something. I have no idea what it is or who it is with, I think I better just drive around the city soccer fields to see if I left my daughter there. Unless I am supposed to be teaching a class in which case the jammies should be reconsidered.









2 comments:

  1. Everything is better in fast forward :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL literally!!! This is brillian! Thanks for all the helpful timesaver hints

    ReplyDelete